Saunth Chutney, more commonly known as meethi chutney or meethi imli chutney adds life to Indian snacks like samosa, pakora, dahi bhalla papri chaat, raj kachori, aalo tikki, etc. It is also used in Gole gappas or pani puris.
1/2 cup Imli / Tamarind,
2 cups Water
3/4 cup Jaggery Powder/ Gur Shakkar
1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Saunf Powder / Fennel Seed Powder
1/2 tsp Saunth – Dry Ginger Powder
1/2 tsp Jeera / Cumin Seeds
Cashew nuts & raisins (dry grapes) for garnish. (optional)
- Soak imli in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes.
- Add red chilli powder and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from fire and strain. Mash well with fingers to extract all the juice/pulp.
- In another pan, roast cumin seeds and add imli juice and other ingredients. Boil. Simmer for 5-7 minutes till thick.
- Let the mixture cool. Add cashew nuts & raisins.
- Serve with any chaat item or samosas etc along with green chutney.