Khatta Meat is a famous lamb curry dish from Jammu. It is made with mutton cooked in amchur (Dry Mango Powder) or anardana (Sour Pomegranate Seeds) and flavoured with fumes of a burning charcoal soaked in mustard oil. This mutton curry is amazingly tasty and easy to digest.
Khatta Meat Recipe
- Mutton: 500 Gms
- Chopped Onions: 6
- Ginger Garlic Paste: 6 tsp
- Turmeric: 1 tsp
- Kasoori Methi: 4 tsp
- Red Chilly Dry: 2
- Green Chillies: 4
- Salt: To Taste
- Amchur : 4 tsp. (or Dry Pomegranate Paste 1/4 cup)
- Fennel Seed Powder: 3 tsp
- Fresh Coriander Leaves: For Garnish (Chopped)
- Charcoal for smoking
For Garam Masala:
- Cumin Seeds: 3 tsp
- Coriander Seeds: 2 tsp
- Black Cardamom: 2
- Green Cardamom: 2
- Cloves: 5
- Cinnamon Stick: 2
- Mustard Oil: 5 Tbsp
- Roast cumin seeds and coriander seeds on tawa or pan. Grind them in a grinder along with black and green cardamom, cloves and cinnamon to make fresh Garam Masala.
- In a heavy bottom pan or pressure cooker add mustard oil and heat to a smoking point. Let it cool a bit.
- Add onions and fry till onions turn pink.
- Add ginder garlic paste and green chillies and saute till brown.
- Add mutton, turmeric, salt, garam masala, dry red chilli, kasoori methi and 2 cup water. Cook over low heat till meat is tender.
- Once the meat is cooked add amchur and saunf powder.
- Heat a charcoal till red hot and put it in a ceremic soup bowl or a steel katori. Place this katori over meat, well inside pan/cooker in which you have cooked khatta meat. Now pour 1/4 tsp of mustard oil over hot charcoal and cover the pan/cooker with a lid for few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with boiled rice.